  • Subject: Re: JBA Reporting/Data Warehousing Tools
  • From: randy_smith@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 14:23:46 -0600

Glenn,

Big Topic, complex question.  We are using the JBA @ctive Report Writer,
which is APPLIX's TM-1 Server and Spreadsheet Cube add-in (Perspectives)
with the only "JBA" part being the "AX" application, which is just an
extraction program to get data from the GL to a .csv file somewhere else
for the Applix software to be used in developing and running TM-1cubes out
of.  After 1 year from purchase (part our, part JBA fault) we finally have
it working.  The Applix software could be used for other JBA databases, PC
databases, whatever, but you would have to set them up yourself without any
help from JBA folks.  There has to be a better way.

In my opinion, you may do well to evaluate COGNOS for a general purpose
data warehouse, some JBA customers have set up "knowledge bases" for it to
be used with their PowerPlay and Impromptu products, maybe they'll share
their secrets.  At one time, big product people in the UK (like Malcom
Rose) talked about a strategic alliance with COGNOS.  About the only
benefit I could think of from a customer point of view was receiving some
standard knowledge bases or data warehouse "templates" against standard
modules files . . . as with other things, don't really know if JBA eveer
delivered anything.

I've also heard of a couple of sites use Showcase Vista for D-WH, Data
Marts (at fairly big $ for product and implementation, feeding, watering,
etc.).  A few others have used the BRIO products, which extract out to some
fairly nice drillable pivot tables where money is an object.

If you have a good DB2 connection to the AS/400 and can extract files
easily, another idea worth pursuing is Microsoft's SQL Server 7.0 which has
some pretty nice OLAP and reporting features built in. (and it is very
inexpensive).  Unless you have some in-house talent, however, you will need
to rent some skills to get the initial set-up.

One last low investment hint, take a look at Seagate's Info and Analysis
tools which are free 50 user license and (since they own it) total Crystal
Reports capabilities. Still need someone to set it up, keep it going.

Enough already,

Regards,

Randy Smith - Director of Corporate I.S.
OMRON Electronics, Inc. (www.omron.com/oei)
1 Commerce Dr - Schaumburg, IL  60532
847.843.7852 x110  fax: 847.843.7787 randy_smith@omron.com

Glenn Schreiner <GSchrein@hach.com>@midrange.com on 03/10/2000 11:55:28 AM