Considerations:

1. I'd ask if you could eliminate open & close journal entries:
http://www.redbooks.ibm.com/abstracts/tips0607.html.  If so, it would
likely put your receivers on a pretty good diet.

2. When saving to save files, use DTACPR(*YES) or *MEDIUM to reduce the
disk space consumed by the save files.

3. Consider instead of dumping the receiver to a file, scanning the
receiver for entries you're interested in.  The resulting data file
should be tiny.  If it isn't, you're interested in too much or you've
got problems.

4. If the receivers are still too large, cut to new receivers more
often.  It doesn't reduce the size of what needs processing but it does
reduce your 'batch' size.

As to your retention routine, it's fine.  You may want to consider a
monthly or quarterly DUPTAP of your archive tape.  Then rotate the DUPed
tape offsite.

Seven years is way too long of a retention policy.  According to SOX,
for instance, each company can determine it's own retention guidelines
as long as they don't violate the law.  SOX as law* doesn't really
address log retention; retention is inferred as necessary to demonstrate
that the validity & security of the data has been maintained.

*IANALNDIPOOTV (I Am Not A Lawyer Nor Do I Play One On TV)

John A. Jones, CISSP
Americas Information Security Officer
Jones Lang LaSalle, Inc.
V: +1-630-455-2787 F: +1-312-601-1782