David,

Check to see if explicit rights are being granted to the program in question
through an authorization list.  According to message CPF1910, on V4R4M0
anyway, you are required to have the following to put a program in debug.

o *EXECUTE authority to the program's library.
o *CHANGE authority to the program.
o *USE rights if your job has *SERVICE authority.

Authority checking is first done for a user profile, then for group profile,
and finally for *PUBLIC.  The first instance found is the authority used by
debug to see if it can be started.  If your user profile is on the
authorization list securing the program with say *USE authority you cannot
start debug.  Give yourself *CHANGE rights and you should be good to go.

Gary Monnier
www.powertechgroup.com  garymon@powertechgroup.com
The Powertech Group, Inc.     Seattle, Washington
Where the Security Experts Live!

Phone: +1-253-872-7788
Fax:     +1-253-872-7904