From: "Jim Langston" <jlangston@celsinc.com>
To: <security400@midrange.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2001 7:48 PM
Subject: RE: [Security400] Authority annoyances, continued...

Hmm.. yes, good ol' ODBC, Client Access and Ops Nav.  Those things have been
a thorn in my side as far as security is concerned.  On
my old system I got around it simply not using Client Access, we didn't even
have it licensed.  We used Mochasoft for 5250 screen
emulation.  But, of course, that wasn't to last.  My last company merged
with another company that used Client Access as the
standard, so it wound up getting installed on my system too.

You have exit programs you can write, if you have the time to find out how
to write them, and then actually write them. You wind up
plugging the huge hole IBM opened up.  Instead of being able to secure it
and open up the holes you  secure yourself.

I would of much preferred Client Access to have additional security, not
less.  Especially since most systems at the time had
security implemented on the program/menu level, not the file level (hey, if
you don't have access to the program, you don't have
access to the file, right?)  So of course Client Access blew a huge hole in
that theory.

I think security officers have been playing catch up ever since.

Regards,

Jim Langston
Programmer/Analyst
Cels Enterprises, Inc.

It is said: In English two negatives make a positive.  In Russian two
negatives make a negative.  But in no language do two
positives make a negative.
Yeah, right.