Thanks for such a wide variety of possibilities.

I have had to ignore some, although interesting, because we are on V7R3 and
SAX is unknown to me.
It would seem that the way to go from the start would have been with the
xml handler with the XML-INTO command. This is my first attempt and I did
not fully appreciate this until testing.
I noticed that XML-INTO can also return the number of elements used in an
array (or number of occurrences of the structure in the xml document, I
don't remember which).
As a temporary solution, I simply tested for full arrays and added
commitment control so I didn't have to change the program logic. I've never
actually done this myself before; it was systematic in a COBOL /DB2 shop
where I once worked but it had been implemented so that it was transparent
for the developer. I am so pleased with the solution that I'm wondering why
I have not seen it before in any of the RPG shops I've known.
Any thoughts?