I'm using fill-page-by-page subfiles all the time.

Just fill the first page of a SFLSIZ > SFLPAGE subfile and display the controller with SFLEND off. If the user pages down you get control again and fill the next page and display again. If you read EOF set SFLEND on and display.

The user can page backwards because this part of the subfile is already filled - happens without interacting with the application program. Also paging forward again is done by the display - only if you hit the "buttom" of the subfile, the control is given back to the program - but only of PAGEDOWN is active - so deactivate it when setting SFLEND on.

So the user has only to wait for one page to fill - but still can page backwards.

It's a bit more to program in your application - but not so much - and it works great.

HTH
Daniel