I believe you may have it!
Inside my address validation service program, I was using a "title" procedure on the address lines and city (UPS returns everything in upper case).. The PI on the title procedure is CHAR not VARCHAR.

I added this code to debug:

string1 =
ups.name
+ ups.street
+ ups.street2
+ ups.street3
+ ups.city
+ ups.state
+ ups.zipcode
+ ups.cntry;

string2 =
upsSugg(x).name
+ upsSugg(x).street
+ upsSugg(x).street2
+ upsSugg(x).street3
+ upsSugg(x).city
+ upsSugg(x).state
+ upsSugg(x).zipcode
+ upsSugg(x).cntry;

STRING1 = Homer J Simpson22 Patton LnGrantsvilleMD21536US
STRING2 = Homer J Simpson22 Patton Ln Grantsville MD21536US

So I changed my service program to TRIM the results from the case change, and boom! It's fixed.

FWIW - I swear I could not "see" these spaces in debug (Notepad++ didn't see them either).

Thanks!