As sleep approaches, that does feel kind of odd, but maybe you have other more useful scenarios for this.

Cheers
Vern

On 2/20/2024 11:21 AM, mlazarus wrote:
 I wish that RPG had a "CONTINUE" type of function within the SELECT block, so that if I do want it to go to the next condition it would do that.

 -mark

On 2/19/2024 11:57 PM, Roger Harman wrote:
Anyone who's coded in C has been bit by a missing "break" statement in a switch() structure.  RPG SELECT doesn't have that problem - thankfully.

For the control that Rich wants, I would suggest an FSM driver routine.  You can have very good control of what you want your program to do.  Very easy to implement with a SELECT construct - but, apparently, Rich doesn't care for those.

Roger Harman
COMMON Certified Application Developer - ILE RPG on IBM i on Power

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L<rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>  On Behalf Of Vern Hamberg via RPG400-L
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2024 8:37 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Vern Hamberg<vhamberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Stopping processing with using a bunch of if statements

Hi Rich

I was looking at SELECT-WHEN today, wondering if I remembered how it
worked. The point is this clause in the documentation - (only one WHENxx
is executed) - I believe this is different from how it works in C/C++ in
the switch-case statement - there you have to put a break statement
before the next case, otherwise it can process multiple cases.

So bottom line, only 1 matching WHEN block will be processed, then
control passes to the statement after the ENDSL. If no matching WHEN and
there is an OTHER block, control passes to the first statement after the
OTHER statement, otherwise it passes to the first statement after the ENDSL.

There shall be only one!

Cheers
Vern