This is copy and paste from and old debug instruction. Requires 2 5250 sessions:

While the WDSC debugger has a much simpler way of doing this, we’ll briefly cover the way to use SEPs from a green screen. First, STRDBG on the program that will run in the server or batch job. Then find a statement number where you want to place a breakpoint to get control of the job for debugging. From the command line on the source debug screen, issue the debug command:

sbreak <STATEMENT number> user <USER name profile>.

The user parameter isn’t necessary if the user profile used in the job to be debugged is your own (i.e., the user of the job you’re using for the STRDBG command). Then press F12 (resume) to release the debugger. Next do whatever’s necessary to start the program running in the batch or server job. When the program in that job reaches the statement number you entered in the sbreak command, your job will receive a message that a SEP has stopped at the statement number specified. The details of the job, including job number, user name and job name, will appear in this message.

Now comes the weird part – your next step is to go to a second emulation session (a separate interactive job) so you can enter two commands:

Start Service Job (STRSRVJOB) for the job specified in the message.
STRDBG on the program you were just debugging in the other job.

Once you’re in debug mode in the second job, set any breakpoints you want in that program and debug the program using this second emulation session as you would have if this were an interactive program. At this point, you may end the debug session in the earlier interactive job that you started for the purpose of setting the SEP.

As we said, it’s cumbersome and clumsy but if you need to debug those types of jobs, you can’t beat the functionality. However, it’s much easier to use with WDSC, but then you probably expected us to say that!

Best regards

Stefan