Thanks for the response, Patrik.

Today the decision was made to get rid of the radio buttons entirely
and replace them with single-character input fields. More old-school,
but much better flexibility and control from a programming standpoint,
and the users are already used to (and actually not even unhappy with)
that style of UI anyway.

Whenever someone tries to say "well, browser-based front-ends are all
well and good, but until we have the money/time/expertise to do
something like that, let's at least make use of the latest display
file features that are available to us", my reaction (which I only
sometimes say out loud) is "no, really, that's the worst of both
worlds - clunky by proper GUI standards, and slow/awkward by
green-screen power-user standards".

My recent struggle with radio buttons underscores this. It's even
worse than I thought. The behaviors are at once annoying to set up,
yet also not customizable enough. I can see they (IBM) made an effort
to think of all kinds of possibilities, and I want to acknowledge the
valiant work that went into it. But ultimately, it's not what I would
consider ready for prime time. (And I sincerely hope they've abandoned
any thoughts of further development in that direction!)

John Y.