I guess my concern is that the programmer would not know that the conversion had occurred. If it is an optional feature so that you know it is happening then that is not a problem.

For that matter is there any reason why DATA-INTO itself could not be changed to accommodate float values? It converts to zoned or packed as required. It could as easily detect the float and convert it just as a conventional EVAL would.

Jon P.