a built-in wrapper is CPYTOARCF / CPYFRMARCF to zip / unzip files in the
IFS

My 2 cnts
Gad

date: Wed, 19 Apr 2023 13:14:19 -0600
from: Jack Woehr via RPG400-L <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Binary bit map in IBM i (was as/400)

QshOni <https://github.com/richardschoen/QshOni>

This IBM i library contains useful CL wrapper commands to allow Qshell and
Pase apps to be called and consumed from regular IBM i jobs via CL, RPG or
COBOL programs. It also has a CL command to scan stdout for a specific
value if you need to do something simple to check for a successful command
run.