On 2/14/23 2:27 PM, Roger Harman wrote:
Why on earth would you do all that manipulation when a simple opcode
does the job?

Because that simple opcode *doesn't* do the job by itself.

Consider:

D FOO S 50A
D BAR S 50A
D BAZ S 50A
C EVAL FOO = 'FOOBAR'
C EVALR BAR = FOO
C EVALR BAZ = %TRIM(FOO)
C FOO DSPLY
C BAR DSPLY
C BAZ DSPLY
C SETON

If you compile and run this, you get:

DSPLY FOOBAR
DSPLY FOOBAR
DSPLY FOOBAR

If the EVALR were *all* it took to forcibly quad a string to the right, then the second line of the output would look like the third, not the first.

As to explicitly adding spaces on the left, that would only be necessary if you were using a version of ILE RPG that lacked the EVALR.

--
JHHL