If I have understood you correctly, the manual agrees with you:

"Note: The ASCEND and DESCEND keywords cannot be specified for an array data structure."

Remember, the ASCEND/DESCEND keywords are "used to describe the sequence of the data" - they don't perform any sequencing themselves. You will need to SORTA the Data Structure Array yourself before using %LOOKUPxx BIFs. There are some good examples in the RPG IV Reference under the SORTA operation.

Brian.