I'm no expert, but at our shop here, we use the export *ALL philosophy, and we have to create all of our programs with the *DUPPROC and *DUPVAR options otherwise we cannot compile.
I like the strategy that you have described. I hope that you are able to keep it.

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Birgitta Hauser
Sent: Tuesday, November 1, 2022 2:54 AM
To: 'RPG programming on IBM i' <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: ILE Concepts

Hi everybody,

I need some comments/strategies about ILE Concepts.
A company worked since years as follows:
- One Source one Object (Service-Program or Program)
- a Service-Program could include 1 to n (exported and a few internal) procedures
- Binder Language was used in the way, it was maintained before creating or updating the service program. (They even had a tool which generated the binder language automatically by scanning the source)
- The signature was kept static, i.e. Signature Name = Service-Program name
- Even though the signature was static, the previous export blocks are stored in the binder source just to see what procedures were added.

With this method they could easily add new procedures to service programs and transfer single service programs from the development system to the productive system.
In the case of the company they had to implement the application and fixes on different customer machines. Because the tool was a development tool, the customers had to call the exported procedures.
... and until now it worked without problems.

Now a new (java) guy/leader (who knows everything better) came and told them everything they did were bullshit.
He wants the following:
- Service-Programs are compiled/bound without binder language (i.e. EXPORT
*ALL)
- After the binder language is retrieved (and the signature get modified, i.e. ALL SERVICE PROGRAMS will get the SAME NAME, i.e. Company name = SIGNATURE).
- Then an UPDSRVPGM is performed to include the new Signature in the Service-Program

- if new procedures are added, again the Service-Program is again created with EXPORT *ALL, and the binder source retrieved.
- the binder language is retrieved again, and only the signature has to be changed.

IMHO this cannot work ... at least not without recompiling everything.

Someone can tell me what happens if ALL Service-Programs get the same signature?
Are the right service-Programs still found or are just ALL service-programs activated at the same time?
Are the right procedures still called if all Service-Programs have the right signature?

What do you think about this new strategy ...and was the old one so silly?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards

Birgitta Hauser
Modernization - Education - Consulting on IBM i

Brown)
"If you think education is expensive, try ignorance." (Derek Bok) "What is worse than training your staff and losing them? Not training them and keeping them!"
"Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to." (Richard Branson)