At my current work, there are three PFs that have several thousand members apiece – about 8500 on one LPAR, and between 9K and 10K on two other LPARs.  They are some kind of archive.  At my earlier job, where we actually hit the limit once, it was also some kind of archive.  It has been a few years, so I don't remember the precise, but I think it was an archive of source members from our source control application (Turnover).  We only hit the limit once; thereafter I kept an eye on it and would remove some members preemptively.