I think it's just semantics. It does support color via the attribute byte - albeit rudimentary choices - but does not support a true "color" attribute.

No big deal to me. I can tell you I sometimes have wished there were no colors - I've seen some massively wasted time by developers to leverage that - likely for their own gratification as it certainly did not add to - indeed, detracted from - the user experience.

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Frank Kolmann
Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2022 1:46 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: (RtnDspAtr-like) functionality,for EVERY input/output field

Ok Roger,here goes.  I could be wrong and an happy to be corrected.

Originally IBM had model 5291 monochrome terminals and 5292 colour
terminals.
The 5292 terminals were very very expensive and hardly no one purchased.
However the SAME 5250 data stream worked on both devices.
It was up to the device as to how the Fields attribute byte was interpreted.

When the IBM PC arrived it had by default a colour display.
Suddenly by inserting a 5250 emulator card into a PC everyone had a
colour terminal but the screens all looked like GREEN screens.
One could change how the emulator hardware interpreted the 'attribute
byte' , so the PC screens had colours even though the
5250 data stream was written for 5291 monochrome terminal.

There are at most 14 colours available even on 5292 colour terminals but
ALL these colours are controlled by the SAME  Field Attribute byte.
I guess IBM did this so that the SAME code could run no matter what
terminal type was used.
There is nothing like the 256 colours available in xterm.

Whenever I coded UDDS or DSM I never bothered with checking if the
device supported colour or not.
DSM does have a command  "Query Color Support (QsnQryColorSup) API"
(QsnQryColorSup) determines if the display device supports color, but I
never used this API.

In that sense the 5250 data stream simply has a Field Attribute Byte,
It does not have a Field Colour Byte.
It does have FCW  Field control Word, but I hardly used that as mostly,
I think, it had to do with selector pens, that I never used.

fwiw
Frank