<kf>
Frank,

I do not agree with you.

I use LF for reading and PF for updating only, even if I have to read the PF
a second time.
So I get a clear file handling at all.

Your proposed technique requires to compile the files with lvlchk *no.
Thought, I should mention it.

And each new LF requires maintaining of access paths. Have a lot of fun
restoring a huge file with
50 LF's.

SQL is a great alternative with a lot of possibilities. Personally, I prefer
the old style, because the use
of data repositories for common redefinitions of fields is not as
complicated as by SQL definitions.
In this case is a DDS definition much more clearer and easier. It's not all
golden at SQL.

But don't misunderstand me, I use both - native I/O and SQL.

Just my 2cts.
kf
</kf>

use view instead of LF and SQL instead of RLA, never change a view, only add and all is fine. That's the sql way all over the outside AS/400 (and all compatible systems) world. (Thats what I'm teaching in SQL classes since 20 years.)

@ Generic File Handler for File I/O using OA:
I was thinking about this to access files (as a bridge between RLA and SQL). There would be some problems:
- opening the same file multiple times
- opening a file from diffrent ACTGRPs within the same job
- playing around with share yes/no
Using one (in words one!) handler for all files would become rather complicted (near to unsolvable) using RPG. Having one handler for one file it should be possible to generate the handlers (doing what the compiler does), tne share problem seems to be hard.

D*B