The CHANGE() keyword will tell the program if the field was touched...new
value, field exit to clear it, etc. Even if you type the same value that
was already there, CHANGE is tripped. You will need to add a hidden field
to the subfile record for comparison to the original value.

Add CHANGE(41) to the field in the DDS. Using 41 as an example. Any
indicator (01-99) works.
When the user types a value in the field and you read that subfile record,
indicator 41 will be turned on.

READC to get the next changed subfile record
If indicator 41 is on
Compare the screen field to the hidden field.
If they match, turn off the "white indicator"
If they do not match, turn on the "white indicator and
output the override message to screen.

SFLNXTCHG tags the record so it will be read by the READC opcode whether the
user touched that record or not. This won't help you because you have
already handled the field change with the above so no need to evaluate it a
second time.
I have never found a use for PUTOVER in my 30 years on the machine (not that
there isn't a use for it somewhere).