I almost responded (and based on what Jon found should add "again").

I would recommend storing the names in the case the end user (customer)
wants and simply having the user (entry person) confirm that the name is
exactly what is needed (we have a program where I'm at right now that does
just this verification for names on contracts -- quite recently added to
the program). To later %upper the mixed case names (so long as you have
your CCSID right) is then easy (to get you back to what you have now -- all
uppercase). Customers can declare their name casing to be pretty much
anything they want... and it's the strange/exception casing users that will
scream the loudest when the algorithm gets it wrong.