I have an internal app that "renames" fields by using SQL to add the new
column to the table (ALTER TABLE), copying the old column to the new
column, and then dropping the old column (ALTER TABLE again). Access paths
over the old column will be lost and you'll have to recreate them but
access paths over other columns will be preserved. Occasionally I don't
drop the old column; having it simplifies program changes--I can add
additional logic if necessary and then drop the old column later.

The original reason I developed this app was to automate changing CYYMMDD
dates and HHMM(ss) times into *ISO dates and times. The "copy from the old
column to the new column" process uses stored procedures for the date and
time conversions.

-xavier