Mark you have the following options:

1. Use a data structure with the same fields as your select statement
has. You can then select or fetch into :dsName. Use a externally defined
data structure.
2. Specify the fields you need in the SELECT statement. Define a data
structure with those fields only. Then SELECT or FETCH into :dsNAME. Here
you will have to manually define the data structure and all the fields.
3. Specify the fields you need in the SELECT. Define new or use
existing fields for each field in the Select statement. Then SELECT field_1,
field_2, field_3 into :new_field_1, :new_filed_2, :new_field_3 from FILE.
Here you may need to define d-specs or dcl-s for each field you do not have.

It does not matter if you use these in a simple SQL command or in dynamic
SQL. Whatever you choose to do, you will need either a data structure to
receive the values into or defined individual field as in 3 above.

Darryl Freinkel

A4G

Telephone: 770.321.8562 Mobile: 678.355.8562