Hiya Steve!

I must admit that it has been a long time (10 or 11 years) since I've done anything serious with POI or XSSF.  But I took a quick look starting here: https://poi.apache.org/apidocs/index.html

From there, I looked at 3.17, since its the closest to the level you're at now.   In the list of "All Classes" in the bottom left, I found the "Sheet" interface.  (there are two, one ends with 'sl.Sheet' the other with 'ss.Sheet'.  'ss' for spreadsheet is the one you want.)

Within that, there appears to be a protectSheet() method, similar to your prototype.  (Your prototypes were missing part of the qualified interface name -- I assume this was a copy/paste error rather than a 'real' problem.)

So my conclusion is that these methods do exist, at least in 3.17.   I realize that 3.6 is significantly older, and you may have to adjust the code (POI often breaks compatibility with releases) but the adjustments for 3.17 are bound to be much smaller than the adjustments for 5.0.

Hope that helps!