Maybe someone else has mentioned this, but the *EXT option should display the message right away I believe.

SNDPGMMSG MSG(TEST) TOPGMQ(*EXT) MSGTYPE(*STATUS)

Regards,
Richard Schoen
Web: http://www.richardschoen.net
Email: richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

message: 1
date: Thu, 13 May 2021 18:15:20 +0100
from: Brian Parkins <goodprophet.bp@xxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Question on sending status messages to a RPG program

Just a suggestion. How about a pop-up window with this particular message, rather than using the message subfile?

You could go the whole hog and call a separate program (procedure?) to display this pop-up window - more flexibility?

Brian.