Von: RPG400-L [mailto:rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] Im Auftrag von
Maria Lucia Stoppa
Gesendet: Dienstag, 11. Mai 2021 15:43
An: RPG programming on IBM i
Betreff: How to access MS SQL Server 2019 from IBM i running v7r4

Hi all,

First of all, hope you are all fine and healthy.

As stated in the subject, I would like to be able to run some DML SQL
statements periodically and programmatically to insert and update rows in
one or more MS SQL Server tables.

I looked for older threads about the same topic, but it seems to me that
they are too old and today other solutions may be available, hopefully.
That's why I submit the current question. Also, I am pretty sure I read a
similar question and a reply from Scott Klement but I wasn't able to find
it yet.

A linked server is already in place on the SQL server, so I know I can
access DB2 from the SQL server. What I need now is to write some ILE
programs where executing SQL statements to connect to the SQL server and
perform DML statements.

So far, I find difficult to figure out what's needed behind the scene.

Is a new RDBE enough and if yes how should it be set? I tried creating a
specific entry pointing to the SQL server port like this:
[image: image.png]
then executed this SQL connection:
[image: image.png]
with the right password but timed out with SQ30080 error code.

Does the SQL server be equipped with further software like SSHI to allow
DRDA services to load and if yes what's needed on IBM i side?

Are there other solutions based on some open software?

Thank you for any suggestion or example link you could provide me with.