Brian, the main reason triggers are frowned on is that things happen in
triggers that aren't readily visible. Developers (at least here) are used
to interaction with the database happening through known application
programs. Unfortunately our IBM i is nearing retirement as a deal for SAP
was signed on Dec. 31 so management is trying to keep new development down
where possible.

Our shop usually doesn't hold anyone back from using the different
technologies but whenever I have suggested the use of triggers in the past
I get shot down. Except this time. The triggers don't really affect
production data as they will only send data changes to a table to a third
party. In this case management felt a trigger on the table made more sense
then changing the multiple programs that could change the data.

Rob

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 7:53 PM Brian Parkins <goodprophet.bp@xxxxxxxxx>