I'm using http_post_xml() and a callback procedure to parse the response:

After running this through debug, the resulting length LEN is 33243, but the value of variable DECODED is blanks.

I'm assuming the response data is UTF8 as indicated in the HTTP Debug header.
The encoded data length of the <base64LabelImage> element ( in http debug text file) is 44325

rc = http_post_xml(
'https://elstestserver2.endicia.com/LabelService/EwsLabelService.asmx'
: %addr(SOAP) + 2
: %len(SOAP)
: *null
: %paddr(EndOfElement)
: %addr(userData)
: HTTP_TIMEOUT
: *omit
: 'text/xml; charset=UTF-8; +
SOAPaction="www.envmgr.com/LabelService/GetPostageLabel"'
);

P EndOfElement B
D EndOfElement PI
D userData * value
D depth 10I 0 value
D name 1024A varying const
D path 24576A varying const
D value 65535A varying const
D attrs * dim(32767)
D const options(*varsize)

dcl-s encoded varchar(65535);
dcl-s decoded char(65535);
dcl-s outSize uns(10);
dcl-s len uns(10);

select;
when name = 'Status';
response.status = value;
when name = 'TrackingNumber';
response.trackNbr = value;
when name = 'Base64LabelImage';
encoded = value;

outSize = %len(decoded);
len = base64_decode( %addr(encoded:*data)
: %len(%trim(encoded))
: %addr(decoded)
: outSize
);