Here's my 0.02...

I break down RPG coding into the following
RPG III
RPG III+ (RPG III run through CVTRPGSRC)
RPGIV (some free form/new op-codes & BIFs)
ILE RPG (service program & procedures)

Continuing to use the RPG III compiler when making modifications to an
existing program, instead of running the source through CVTRPGSRC is just
stupid. Both on the part of management for insisting on it, and on the
developer(s) willing to go along with it.

Heck, when I had RPG III code around in the past, I'd usually run it
through CVTRPGSRC just to look at it. Simply so I could take advantage of
the outline view in RDi.

Perhaps there's an exception for third party code...but even there, I can't
believe a vendor would still be shipping updates written in RPG III. And
if you're not getting updates, then the code is yours now, regardless of
where it came from.

CVTRPGSRC is about the safest thing you can do on the IBM i, there's only
two op-codes that don't convert FREE and DEBUG. And those aren't often
used.

As long as you compile with DFTACTGRP(*YES) the behavior between RPG III
*PGM and the converted RPGLE *PGM is exactly the same.

Charles