I just read this summary of the 2020 Slack Overflow annual survey:

https://www.freecodecamp.org/news/stack-overflow-developer-survey-2020-programming-language-framework-salary-data/

There are no references to RPG or Cobol.

There are a couple of references to DB2: it ranked second to last in least used database. And if you look at the full survey, DB2 ranks #1 as the most dreaded database.

I know we are a small community, but I'm surprised that neither RPG nor Cobol were referenced at all. Could be that hardly any of us hang out on Slack Overflow?

So does the rest of the world not consider us "real" developers because we aren't using what they consider "real" languages?

I remember taking a class on C++ back in the mid-90s with a co-worker of mine. The first day the instructor let us know that C++ was a "real" language, and nothing like those "sissy" languages like Basic or RPG. My co-worker immediately raised his hand and let him know that we were both RPG programmers. The instructor told us that we would have a hard time in his class then. We both passed with perfect scores; proved him wrong.

Just curious - anyone else ever experienced this type of bias?

Bob Cagle
IT Manager
Lynk