On 2020-04-23 2:21 p.m., Charles Wilt wrote:
Why not just start more jobs?

Quick & Easy.

RPGLE IV has better support for multi-threading...but it wouldn't be my
first choice for doing so...

RPG's basically been enhanced to allow you to make it thread safe, but
there nothing in the language for creating and managing threads...you'd
need to make C API calls to do it.

There's an example in the ILE RPG User's Guide that shows how to call APIs to create threads.

I agree with Charles that creating threads in RPG wouldn't be my first choice.

It's not that hard to create threads in RPG, but making sure that -everything- you do is thread-safe can be challenging. For example, everything that your thread-capable RPG application calls has to be thread-safe, which means at a minimum, you have to have the THREAD keyword in every RPG module of every program or service program that gets called.