On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 10:02 AM Jack Woehr
<jwoehr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Vernon, she was missing the final quote but also I think it was barfing on
the $( ... ) syntax (parentheses).

Whether that syntax works should be entirely up to the shell which is
doing the actual processing. Presumably, the OP was issuing the
command interactively in Qshell. Then they were invoking a Qshell
instance in their CLP. So I would expect that if that syntax worked
for one, it should work for the other. On the other hand, if OP's
interactive session was something else, like bash, then I could easily
imagine interactive (bash) commands not working (in Qshell).

Me not knowing the full and appalling range of CL escape quote mechanisms
:), it looks simpler to use back-tick `command ...` syntax.

The full range of CL escape quote mechanisms is very simple: If you
have apostrophes in your string, you must double them.

That's it.

It's Qshell and the other Unix-like shells which have more complex
quoting structures.

So, Vern's original response was right on.

John Y.