If the file in question has any unique indexes the advantage is zero. All
I/o is record by record.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020, 10:09 AM Nathan Andelin <nandelin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I can confirm that the OVRDBF command does work for SQL processes. I've
used it many time to override to a particular member in multi-member
physical files. Unfortunately I don't know if your idea would improve
performance, and I kind of doubt that it would. My gut feel is that IBM
does everything they can think of to improve performance, and they would
have considered it already.

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:10 AM Francois Lavoie <
Francois.Lavoie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Imho, SQL does not take into account any file overrides
You will need to make the changes on the file itself either by Alter
Table
or CHGPF command

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Robert
Wenzel
Sent: Friday, March 27, 2020 12:01
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: SQL Block Inserts Performance

Can anyone tell me if issuing an OVRDBF command in a Cl program [to set a
file buffer size larger the default than 4K] before calling an SQLRPGLE
program will improve performance of blocked inserts using SQL Insert
statement? If yes, can you tell me if there is a potential problem if
the
file array is greater than the buffer size (say if I use 256K in the
OVRDBF
statement)?

Thanks for all your assistance. I get so much out of these blogs.

--

*Robert Wenzel, Software Engineer*
iSeries Applications Support and Development

[image: Inmar]
<

https://www.inmar.com/?utm_source=email%20signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Associate%20Email%20Signature&utm_content=Inmar%20Logo

robert.wenzel@xxxxxxxxx

635 Vine Street, Winston Salem, NC 27101
*p: 336-770-3478*
www.inmar.com
<

https://www.inmar.com/?utm_source=email%20signature&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Associate%20Email%20Signature&utm_content=URL%20link

| LinkedIn <https://www.linkedin.com/company/inmar> | Facebook <
https://www.facebook.com/inmarinc> | Twitter <
https://twitter.com/inmarinc>

*Inmar Confidentiality
Note*: This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and intended to
be viewed and used solely by the intended recipient. If you are not the
intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, dissemination,
distribution, copying or use of this e-mail or any attachment is
prohibited. If you received this e-mail in error, please notify us
immediately by returning it to the sender and delete this copy and all
attachments from your system and destroy any printed copies. Thank you
for
your cooperation.

*Notice of Protected Rights*: The removal of any copyright, trademark,
or
proprietary legend contained in this e-mail or any attachment is
prohibited
without the express, written permission of Inmar, Inc. Furthermore, the
intended recipient must maintain all copyright notices, trademarks, and
proprietary legends within this e-mail and any attachments in their
original form and location if the e-mail or any attachments are
reproduced,
printed or distributed.

https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.

questions.