-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of

message: 1
date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 09:12:37 -0500
from: dlclark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: RPG SPECIAL exit routines

This question is a bit more technical than the usual RPG question,
but...

Before the advent of OA handlers, I had a SPECIAL exit routine for
which
the original intent was to allow the programmer to use different record
lengths that suited their needs. But what I found was that I couldn't
tell
(from inside the SPECIAL exit routine) what record length the programmer
had used. Thus, there was "garbage" in the "unused"
portion of the passed record area. I ended up having to force the
programmer to always code the maximum supported record length.

So my question is... Is there a way for a SPECIAL exit routine to
find out
the record length used by an RPG program that invokes it (possibly a
register
that points to the file control blocks)? Then, by extension, is there a
way to
find out the same information within an OA handler?

I need the first answer more than the second but the second would
come in handy, too. Thanks.

Sincerely,

Dave Clark