Then that doesn't match the code that you showed us. You were using host variables in the code you showed us.

________________________________
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Marvin Radding <marvin.radding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, December 11, 2019 4:58 PM
To: 'RPG programming on IBM i' <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: A problem in embedded SQL

Kevin,

No, you are wrong. I construct a string that will be used as the sql statement. I perform the prepare using that string. I open the cursor and perform a fetch. The fetch fails with an EOD. I display the string, copy it and start STRSQL. I paste the string and press enter. It returns the expected value. At no time do I do anything to alter the sql statement other than modify it ion STRSQL because the ands have 1 character on the previous line and the nd on the next.

Thanks,

Marvin
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced, traumatized, triggered, and crying for their safe spaces.