er forgive my blather re ctes, obviously there is no cte in this
solution....

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 16:05, Craig Richards <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi Scott,

Thank you very much - that works fine and does seem a lot cleaner.

I'm still struggling to understand exactly what is going on.
Whenever I write SQL, I always try to think of sets of data, what they
look like and how they join together.

A LEFT JOIN is straightforward.
But I've not used a Table Function before.

I can see that running something like:

select * from table(users()) u

calls the UDTF users() and returns a table.

I don't really have the mechanics of it clear in my mind as it pertains to
the SQL above - as you say, feeding the data though the CTE and also with
the join on 1=1 which if I understand it correctly would be some kind of a
cross join, which makes me wonder if it's kind of doing a cross join at
each row level.

If you have the patience and a bit more free time at some point I would be
grateful if you could help me understand the mechanics of exactly what is
going on here.

In any case, thanks so much for taking the time to look at my question and
provide a helpful and clear solution.
best regards,
Craig

On Tue, 22 Oct 2019 at 15:40, Scott Mildenberger <