I suspect there is some misunderstanding about the numbers presented in
WRKSYSSTS/DSPSYSSTS.

The CPU and faulting/paging rates are displayed for the elapsed time period
shown in "Elapsed Time". So if that shows 00:5:28 then the observation is
for 5 minutes, 28 seconds and the data is aggregated for that amount of
time. If the elapsed time is 00:00:01 the observation is one second.
Anything under about 5 minutes is going to give you inaccurate (and mostly
useless) information about the system. Also, do not be pounding away on
the refresh key F5, since hitting that more than a couple of times during
the observation will have some effect on the numbers it produces. Your job
is included, so if you work the system hard, it will show up......

If you are after averages over time then the API will give that to you,
just start the observation, wait 5 minutes, then call the API again without
the reset. The system reports this information extremely well.

Building your own software to aggregate the performance data is fine, but
it won't be as accurate as what the system provides you.

Also remember that Performance Data Investigator is there to help you see
trends and diagnose performance issues. Even if you do not have the
performance tools loaded you can still take the observations and review
them on another system. IBM does that all the time, as do I.

Jim Oberholtzer
Chief Technical Architect
Agile Technology Architects

On Tue, Oct 15, 2019 at 9:55 AM Pieter Henrico via RPG400-L <