Today I was compiling a program in which a wanted to assign a substring
some value from a starting point, and this was a variable of type
PACKED(15:5) which in time I defined like that because it comes from the
command line. I had a compiler error claiming that the type of parameter 3
was in fact an expression like:
somevar = %SUBST(somevar: 5: parm_length - 4);

where parm_length comes as a parameter from the command line as a
PACKED(15:5). This was the cause of the error. I decided to declare
another INT(10) variable to which I assigned the value of parm_length minus
4 and replaced it in parameter 3 of the %SUBST. And it compiled. I didn't
have the time to investigate that but I could solve the inconvenience.

I would imagine that maybe something like that could be bothering you as
your variable for the starting point is exactly a PACKED(5) one. Maybe
PACKED variables are not welcome in %SUBST now.

It's only an opinion that would probably have more comments by the way.

Javier Sanchez.