"RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 07/25/2019
01:00:02 PM:
----- Message from Rob Berendt <rob@xxxxxxxxx> on Thu, 25 Jul 2019
16:58:55 +0000 -----

RPG programming on IBM i <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

RE: Using long names

<snip>
everyone who use the table may not want to use the long names.
</snip>

Actually I name stuff just to discourage use of the short names.

CREATE OR REPLACE TABLE Lookup_table for system name T00000001
(
Lookup_item for column C000000001 VARCHAR(100) ALLOCATE(20)
not null constraint Lookup_table_primary_key PRIMARY KEY,
-- Item to lookup
Lookup_value_character for column C000000002 VARCHAR(100)
ALLOCATE(10) with default null, -- Value of item (if character)
Lookup_value_integer for column C000000003 bigint with default
null, -- Value of item (if integer)
Lookup_value_decimal for column C000000004 decimal (25, 5) with
default null, -- Value of item (if decimal)
CONSTRAINT Lookup_table_has_a_value CHECK ( -- One, and only
one, of the lookup result columns will have a value.
(Lookup_value_character is not null and lookup_value_integer is
null and Lookup_value_decimal is null) or
(Lookup_value_character is null and lookup_value_integer is not
null and lookup_value_decimal is null) or
(Lookup_value_character is null and lookup_value_integer is null
and lookup_value_decimal is not null))
)
RCDFMT T00000001R
;

Rob Berendt
Group Dekko
Dept 1600
Mail to: 2505 Dekko Drive
Garrett, IN 46738
Ship to: Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

Rob,

I like it!

-----

Birgitta,

Just so I completely understand the way it works when you do this, you're
really just specifying a long name in the RPG--it's can be anything long
you choose as long as you specify the shortname correctly in the EXTDESC.

In other words, I could specify

Long_file_name_for_descriptions in one program with EXTDESC('DESCFILE')

and then specify

Description_lookup_file in another program--also with EXTDESC('DESCFILE')

I guess my point is there isn't really any connection to the SQL long
name--although it would make more sense to use the same name everywhere.
Is that correct?

Thanks,
Michael Quigley
Computer Services