#1 might have been an issue in the ASCII workstation days, but I don't know
that it really applies to interactive displays these days. I don't think
your user would even notice.

#2 is a good point. Those compile keywords are easy to forget if you don't
have a build tool.

On Mon, Jul 15, 2019 at 4:54 PM Scott Klement <rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

IMHO, using FRCDTA should always be preferred over DFRWRT(*NO) for two
reasons:

1. DFRWRT affects the whole file, whereas FRCDTA affects only one record
format. This allows other record formats to continue with deferred
writing, which performs much better.

2. FRCDTA is a DDS keyword that goes into the source code. DFRWRT is a
keyword on the CRTDSPF command that must be remembered each time it is
compiled. This can be a big issue if you don't have some sort of build
tool to build your projects, or use a tool like SDA to compile screens,
because its really easy to forget to set the compile parameters. Since
FRCDTA is in the source code, there's nothing to forget.

-SK