Is varying-dimension array a PTF that can be loaded on 7.3 ....

Thanks
John Slanina

On 4/23/19, 12:08 PM, "RPG400-L on behalf of David Gibbs via RPG400-L" <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx on behalf of rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are many enhancements to the RPG Language in this release (some
of these were made available in earlier TRs through PTFs):

* A varying-dimension array is defined with
DIM(*AUTO:maximum_elements) or DIM(*VAR:maximum_elements). The second
parameter of the DIM keyword indicates the maximum number of elements
in the array.
. The dimension of a varying-dimension array can be changed by
assigning a value to the %ELEM built-in function.
. The dimension of a varying-dimension array defined with DIM(*AUTO)
increases when there is an assignment statement to an element that is
greater than the current number of elements.
. You can specify *NEXT as the index for an array defined with
DIM(*AUTO) when the array is modified by an assignment statement. The
dimension of the array increases by one.
* Specify DIM(*CTDATA) to specify that the dimension of a compile-time
array or table is determined by the number of records in the
compile-time data.
* The SAMEPOS keyword positions a subfield at the same starting
position as another subfield.
* New PSDS subfields:
. Internal job ID, in positions 380 to 395
. System name, in positions 396 - 403
* The ON-EXIT section runs every time that a procedure ends, whether
the procedure ends normally or abnormally.
* When a qualified data structure is defined using free-form RPG
syntax, a subfield can be directly defined as a nested data structure
subfield using DCL-DS and END-DS to define the subfield.
* The new DATA-INTO operation code reads data from a structured
document, such as JSON, into an RPG variable. It requires a parser to
parse the document. The DATA-INTO operation calls the parser, and the
parser passes the information in the document back to the DATA-INTO
operation, which places the information into the RPG variable.
* Built-in function %PROC() returns the external name of the current procedure.
* Complex qualified names can be used in more places:
. Built-in function %ELEM
. Built-in function %SIZE
. Operation code DEALLOC
. Operation code RESET
* New built-in functions %MAX and %MIN can be used in definition
statements and calculation statements.
* ALIGN(*FULL) defines the length of a data structure as a multiple of
its alignment. This is important for avoiding storage-corruption
problems when calling functions written in ILE C.
* The CRTBNDRPG and CRTRPGMOD commands now support compiling from
Unicode source by specifying either an EBCDIC CCSID or *JOB for the
new TGTCCSID parameter.

Full details on IBM i 7.4 can be found here: https://ibm.co/2KWgCcC

--
IBM i on Power Systems: For when you can't afford to be out of business!

I'm riding 615 miles (Yes, you read that right) in the American
Diabetes Association's Tour de Cure to raise money for diabetes
research, education, advocacy, and awareness. You can make a
tax-deductible donation to my ride by visiting
https://mideml.diabetessucks.net.

You can see where my donations come from by visiting my interactive
donation map ... https://mideml.diabetessucks.net/map (it's a geeky
thing).

I may have diabetes, but diabetes doesn't have me!
at https://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l.