Looking at performance data when the process is running will help isolate where the bottlenecks are, whether disk, memory, cpu, or ???

We once had an issue with a Power 7 with 4 partitions, something about how the disks were allocated between partitions that was causing extremely long disk response time. Sitting in WRKDSKSTS was showing some (if not all) drives with high % Busy numbers with elapsed times in hours. The Power 7 couldn't compete with the old 520 it was replacing. Rebuilding the system and partitioning makes it breeze along. Not to say you have the same issue but looking at WRKDSKSTS could help tell if the system is disk bound.

Scott Mildenberger | Software Developer | Washington Corporations | 101 International Drive | Missoula, MT 59808 | Office: (406) 523-1536 | www.washcorp.com

-----Original Message-----
From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Jim Franz
Sent: Tuesday, March 19, 2019 4:03 PM
To: rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RPGIV performance writing large number of records

Am reviewing performance issues of a conversion process to read data from many files and write many records (hundreds of thousands or millions of records). 30 or 40 programs, of which 4 are very complex and taking most of the time, All RPGIV, all write file as "output", not "update add". About half write to files allowing null values, and not having errors (using %nullind).
The process is taking longer to execute than the 12 hr window (their orig
estimate) to get it done - by 2 - 3 times. The pgmr is very experienced (in
RPGIV) so its not simple stuff (but am checking).
Not an option to rewrite at this point, but looking for tips on allocation of resources.
This is V7R1, single processor power 7+ w 16 gig memory, 1.5Tb local disk.

Jim Franz