Ok let's think out of the box maybe this work for you. Since you said that
converting your data into csv would be better for you then why not calling
a vbscript from the IBM I that convert your ifs file into CSV and then you
read your CSV in any way you want. FYI Vbscript is able to convert XML data
into CSV.