You need a count_articles field in the DS since you are not INTOing directly into the articles array.

Any time you have less elements than you said you would have you need a count. The alternative is to use allowmissing which is s really bad idea.

So the start of the DS should be this:

dcl-ds return_array Qualified;
count_articles int(5);
dcl-ds articles dim(999) ;

Just tested it and it works fine - assuming that you had 3 articles in that file!

An alternative would be to just target the articles array directly - then RPG would automatically supply the count in the PSDS.

Jon Paris

www.partner400.com
www.SystemiDeveloper.com