Marvin,

Java has nothing to do with file descriptors in RPG.

Reading garbage is an entirely different problem than you had before. So I
guess I can assume that fixing the IF statement solved your first problem.
Which was really just a misunderstanding that a descriptor can be zero (I
saw that problem right away because I did the same thing years ago!)

Now, your NEXT problem is the data reading in is "garbage". In fact, what
that means is the data isn't translating from the files CCSID to your jobs
CCSID. Not sure why an IFS file would have a CCSID of 37, though. If you
plan on using it for anything outside of RPG, I'd change that.

Try opening the file with this instead: (I dug this out from some notes
somewhere... the example in the sites below may be better)
filehandle = open(filepath:O_RDONLY + O_TEXTDATA + O_CCSID:0:0);

There also is a TON of info on this at Scott Klement's site (
https://www.scottklement.com/presentations/RPG%20and%20the%20IFS.pdf for
instance) as well as RPGPGM.com:
http://www.rpgpgm.com/2016/01/read-ifs-file-using-rpg.html

That should get you underway.

On Wed, Sep 12, 2018 at 1:23 PM Marvin Radding <