Greg -

The setup (in hindsight) was not too bad. Zebra could make it easier, but why they are not is beyond me. I supposed they know that PDF-direct for the most part makes their ZPL language (in my opinion) obsolete so they may as well try to profit from it. I’ll answer the forum as I think more people would benefit from knowing how we did it.

Once we realized the PDF-direct was mainstream on desktop printers (HP), we are a Zebra shop and decided to see if Zebra had modern alternatives to ZPL (and ASCII).

We found that their ZD500 label printer supports PDF-Direct (via LinkOS) as an additional $299 license fee. It’s steep for sure. Conspiracy theories aside, once we downloaded and installed their PDF-Direct firmware and license key on the ZD500, created a remote output-que on our AS400 and with a couple of ZPL commands afterwards to allow ,JPG images to be dithered greyscale instead of simple black&white (which made the images look horrible), our test ZD500 has worked flawlessly in our production floor for 8 months.

Just make sure whatever Zebra printer you choose, it supports their new LinkOS system which is what drives PDF-direct. I’ve attached a link to Zebra’s website explaining the feature. We chose ZD500 as it was the lowest tier that supports LinkOS and it had WiFi * Bluetooth in addition to the standard Ethernet connection. The printer and LinkOS license makes for an expensive printer ($1,000) but we justify it from the immense flexibility it gives us to create .PDF’s (which is easy) instead of developing using archaic string commands ZPL. The productivity increase and user-happiness of what we can create via .PDF and printing professional-looking labels has us in the process of replacing all our dinosaur Zebra printers with ZD500’s. It’s nice to create the .PDF’s, and view them on our PC’s first, without ever having to send a test print on a zebra printer. That alone was a huge time saver and saved us from wasting countless labels during development.

Hope this helps.

Eddie