We use data queues a lot - they are fast and reliable.

In cases where a response is required we use two data queues - One in and
one out. The out queue is a keyed data queue.

We will send the request with a unique number and that is the key used on
the reply.

Sometimes we will use a table as well and pass the key to the table. I
recently used this approach when a web page was requesting data from both
IBMi and MSSQL, the web page called a service program procedure that put
the request on to a data queue. A monitor program received the response
and assembled the data in json and wrote it to the file in 30000 byte
records then sent the completion back on the out data queue, where the
procedure was waiting for the response and passed the data back to the web
page.

We do a similar thing for our payment gateway.

And we do a similar for our SMS gateway. Here we have a table that gets
updated when the message is sent and if success or fail and provides the
history.

Don Brown