From: RPG400-L <rpg400-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Craig Richards
Sent: Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2018 10:26
To: RPG programming on the IBM i (AS/400 and iSeries)
<rpg400-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: RPGLE Trigger programs and Commit Control

Hi Dieter (I hope this is the correct name - it seems better than calling
you D*B )

Thanks again for taking time to post. I do appreciate it.

I will consider your words, if nothing more than for my own education as I
haven't looked at commit exit program.
However I will most likely take my previously suggested approach and exclude
certain programs from the trigger processing, putting that code in the
application programs.

Here are my reasons for this:

1) I prefer to keep trigger programs as light as possibly. This is because
they have to perform as part of the database update and therefore be
efficient, and the other reason is that, to me at least, it's kind of "under
the covers" processing. So any heavy transactions or business rules I tend
to port into something like an asynchronous server where the code is more
visible and it's not holding up critical I/O. This is just my opinion and
preference, I don't expect everyone to agree.

2) When there is a possibility that the database can be updated via DDRA/DDM
(QRWTSRVR Jobs) or Database Host Server (QZDASOINIT Jobs) which hang around
for a while and get re-used via different connections, you cannot leave the
trigger program resident or you are just asking for trouble. Therefore every
database access would need to start up the trigger program each time, then
the trigger program would have to find and dynamically bind in the service
program each time, then this is registering the exit program each time. I'm
sure many, maybe most people would argue that this is all find and dandy and
just a walk in the park for an IBMi, but I'd personally just rather not have
all of that going on in my triggers plus the overhead and logic of storing
up all of the data ready for when a COMMIT is issued. I can see how this
approach could work though.

But I'm grateful you took the time to send me your thoughts and some
information I didn't know about before.

best regards,
Craig