Thanks for the reply Barbara. The data-into statement I was using was passing a variable with a concatenated empty field rather than quoted text.
The strange thing was that these two "data-into" statements worked just fine using a DS that did not have a nested DS in it, but the third did not....:(
When I changed the "data-into" statements to use the quoted text it worked fine.

Dcl-s parseOpt VarChar(100);
parseOpt = 'boolean=ind';

Data-Into UnSubscribeResult %Data(%Trim(jsonString1): %Trim(options))
%Parser('WIPJLB/JSONPARSE':parseOpt + '');

Data-Into RequestVBTResult %Data(%Trim(jsonString2): %Trim(options))
%Parser('WIPJLB/JSONPARSE':parseOpt + '');

Had problems:
Data-Into GetCarrierLookupResult %Data(%Trim(jsonString3): %Trim(options))
%Parser('WIPJLB/JSONPARSE':parseOpt + '');
Worked:
Data-Into GetCarrierLookupResult %Data(%Trim(jsonString3): %Trim(options))
%Parser('WIPJLB/JSONPARSE':'boolean=ind');

Jim Bostwick