Let me refrace your last remark to "the further you are away from the
database,
the less SQL you should use" ;-)

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 11:07 PM, Mike Jones <mike.jones.sysdev@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Henrik,

I've done a lot of work with SQL and hierarchical data. Between recursive
SQL and the hierarchical query capabilities, plus the XML and JSON
functions in SQL for working with those types of hierarchical data, SQL can
be a very productive tool to work with hierarchical data. I can process
hierarchical data using SQL in much fewer lines of code than I could in
RPG, for example.

NOSQL originally meant "non-SQL", but has really morphed into meaning "not
only SQL". Many SQL front ends have been built to query and analyze data
in NOSQL / HADOOP style databases: Apache Hive, Apache Phoenix, Apache
Sqoop, BigSQL, Lingual, Cloudera Impala, Google Cloud Spanner, Presto,
CitusDB, InfiniDB, Hadapt, Jethro, HAWQ, among others.

The trend in recent years has been to build more SQL tools over NOSQL +
HADOOP, not less. The reason for this simple => improve productivity. SQL
eliminates a huge amount of the glue code necessary to fetch a set of data
from a NOSQL / HADOOP database. Even Google developers were complaining
about the lack of SQL in their earlier HADOOP application implementations.

There are limitations with how you can structure SQL, but I never limit
myself to only a single statement when I provide SQL-only solutions. I use
multiple statements all the time, and when you throw in scalar and table
functions (in particular), procedures, temporary tables, global variables,
views, triggers, and external calls to external objects, there are not many
things you can't do in SQL. One thing SQL isn't postured to do, is deal
with a user interface. You have to exit SQL to externally call other
languages that have direct capability to talk to a user interface (SQL =>
RPG => DSPF for example).

I wouldn't attempt to create a middle tier business rules layer that only
used SQL, but SQL can certainly play a big role in such a layer in reducing
code volume. Limiting a solution to only a single language is risky,
inflexible, and less productive.

Assuming you're structuring an application in 3 or more tiers, imo, the
closer you are to the database (e.g. data tier), the more SQL should be
used. The middle tier should use less SQL than the data tier. A front end
tier (user interface) should use even less SQL.

Mike