My guess (and that is what this is), is that if you define the same
field or bytes in a record multiple times and have a level break
indicator on one then you need it on all. Otherwise you would be giving
the compiler conflicting information?

Paul

On 2018-02-02 06:45, Craig Pelkie wrote:

I'm working with some S/36 RPG II code shown below. I can "sort of"
understand the repeated definition of the field in column 66, to have more
than one name for the same byte (although the field names in column 66 are
not otherwise used in the program).

I am unclear why the L3 indicator is defined more than once for the fields.
It seems to me that a single definition of L3 would work the same.

Is this some level break idiom that I missed or am not remembering? The
programs are otherwise OK in terms of being straightforward to understand
and work with (given that they are RPG II), so I think the original
programmer must have had some specific reason for coding like this.

<code>

IPRDIST NS 03 1 CP 2 CR 62 C3

I/COPY PAYLIB/QS36SRC,PRDIST

I 66 660GL2 L3